- 6 Wood Smoked Bacon slices, cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- 5 B.B.Q Spicy Sausages
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 2-pound jar sauerkraut, rinsed, drained well
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
This traditional dish can be prepared a day ahead, and rewarmed over medium heat, stirring frequently.
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Place the Wood-Smoked Bacon slices, onion and carrot in heavy large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté onion until it is tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from sauerkraut. Add sauerkraut to Dutch oven. Add wine, stock, caraway seeds and juniper berries. Bring to simmer. Cover tightly, place in oven and bake 1 hour.
4. Add the B.B.Q Spicy Sausages to Dutch oven, pushing into sauerkraut. Cover and bake 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.