- 400g Grandpa Ham
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 4 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 200g Gruyere, Swiss or Etorki Cheese
- 8 Slices of Toast
Top this sandwich with a fried egg to create a Croque Madame.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
2. To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture, using a whisk. Add the milk, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. Toast the bread.
4. Lightly spread mustard on one side of four slices of toast, then top with Grandpa Ham.
5. Spread béchamel sauce on both sides of the remaining four slices of toast, and place them on top of the Grandpa Ham.
6. Once the sandwiches are assembled, grate cheese on top, and place them in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Allow the sandwiches to cool slightly before cutting into them.